Hyderabad, November 29, 2022…Hyderabad is a rocket city. Most of the recently launched India’s first private rocket was entirely built in Hyderabad. The supply chain is very critical. Hyderabad is the best city in India for the supply chain for building rockets. It is also the best in the world said Pawan Kumar Chandana, Co-founder of Skyroot Aerospace–the Hyderabad start-up behind India’s first privately designed and built rocket that was launched recently.
Talking to FICCI Ladies Organisation(FLO) Members at Hotel Radisson Blu in Banjara Hills on “THE METTLE AND THE MANTLE” Indian Business Growth Trajectories, he said only a few countries in the world have the capabilities of building satellites on their own. India is far ahead in space technology. And Hyderabad is becoming a hub.
The talk was organised by FLO Hyderabad. Welcoming the gatherings Shubhraa Maheshwari, Chairperson of FLO Hyderabad said ‘be a solution to the problem, nobody can stop being a unicorn’.
150 FLO members attended the session
Pawan Kumar Chandana participated and spoke along with two other startup co-founders—Alok Bansal Co-founder & Executive Vice Chairman, Policy Bazaar—a one-stop destination online for all types of insurance products, and Pavan Guntupalli, Co-founder of Rapido–India’s first and fastest-growing Bike taxi app with a whopping 25 Million+ app downloads.
Space technology is exciting. Only 10% of the universe is covered by mobile technology. The rest of the 90% is space. It is very challenging and exciting. We would like to focus on building smaller satellites of less than 500 kg, he shared
Around 100 to 150 satellites are launched every year over the world and well over 1000 satellites are launched every year. In the next ten years, this number is likely to go up to 40, 000. So we will focus on how we can launch small satellites most cost-effectively.
Replying to a question whether they have any plans to take tourists into space he said that is already happening in the west. As far as India is concerned it might take about ten years. And we are not focusing much on that now. Our focus is on building smaller rockets. The future is not far away see Indian tourists going into space. The future is not far away to see the cost of traveling to space will come down as reasonable as an air ticket said Pawan
Speaking about their plans he said they are working on Vikrant 1. It will be a bigger one that will put satellites into orbit. We are planning to launch it next year, Pawan, the Indian Elon Musk in the making revealed.
Space will be democratized. Everyone can dream of going into space in the future he said. Until now Rockets can take a maximum of ten people. But the research is that an aircraft load of passengers is likely to go into space in the future.
Earth is overpopulated. Now outer space is being explored for human habitation. Internet through satellite will become as common as the internet we are using in the next five years, Pawan informed.
Telugu states have contributed immensely to space technology. We have two promising space technology startups — Dhruva Space and Skyroot Aerosoacelocated in Hyderabad. We have ISRO’s spaceport in Sriharikota which is in the Telugu states. Hyderabad is the Rocket building aerospace hub, informed Pawan.
Women do a lot and can contribute more to space technology. This sector has less than 10% women Pawan said. He wants more Kalpana Chawla’s in aerospace technology.
Alok Bansal, Co-founder & Executive Vice Chairman, of Policy Bazaar—a one-stop destination online for all types of insurance products and Pavan Guntupalli, Co-founder of Rapido–India’s first and fastest-growing Bike taxi app with a whopping 25 Million+ app downloads have shared their journey.
Most people were sceptical that women would not use Rapido, but it was proved wrong. 22 to 40% of users are women shared Pavan Guntupalli
Our journey was tough in the initial few years. But, we never looked back since 2014, shared Alok Bansal.
The FLO session was addressed by three Co-founder of three Indian promising companies that have disrupted their respective domains